D-backs acquire 3B Chris Johnson from Astros
The Arizona Diamondbacks have acquired third baseman Chris Johnson from the Houston Astros in exchange for minor league outfielders Marc Krauss and Bobby Borchering.
"If you look at his numbers they've been pretty consisent numbers over the years," D-backs General Manager Kevin Towers said. "He's got power and I think this ballpark will help him."
The 27-year-old third baseman hit .279 with eight home runs and 41 RBI in 92 games with Houston this season. He ranked second on the Astros in RBI and third in batting average.
"A lot of people talk about his similarity to [San Diego Padres third baseman Chase] Headley, except he's not a switch-hitter," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said before Sunday's game against the Mets. "He's had a pretty good season and he's still fairly young. We see a lot of potential in him."
The D-backs, who have struggled to find the answer at the hot corner this season, hope Johnson can fill the void going forward.
"We believe he's going to help us obviously, make us a stronger and better team," Gibson said. "There's room for improvement. We like to think if we could plug him into a good environment that he would get even better."
Krauss hit .283 with 15 home runs and 61 RBI in 104 games with Double-A Mobile, while Borchering combined to hit .247 with 20 longballs and 68 RBIs in 102 games between Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.