D-backs place Blanco on DL, claim Wil Nieves off waivers
Blanco, 40, sprained his left thumb during Sunday's loss to the Phillies.
"He just woke up today and it was way swollen and way loose," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said Monday about his veteran catcher's thumb injury.
Nieves, 34, comes to the D-backs after splitting time this season with the Rockies and their Triple-A affiliate in Colorado Springs. He hit .298 with one home run and five RBI in 16 games with big league club and .306 with three home runs and 16 RBI in 34 minor league games.
"(Nieves) was out there and he has experience," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson said Monday. "Part of the challenge is bringing him up to speed. He might play one of these games here, so we've got a couple days but he'll learn and he'll go down to the bullpen and make sure he catches anybody who throws any bullpens. He'll become familiar with the pitchers."
Nieves is a career .226 hitter and has played for the Padres, Yankees, Nationals, Brewers and Rockies.
Blanco was hitting .188 with one home run and seven RBI in 21 games for the D-backs before the injury.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer