A closer look: Johnson leads Diamondbacks over Pirates
The Diamondbacks looked to be on their way to their fourth straight loss and four and a half games back from the San Francisco Giants as they trailed 4-3 headed in to the eight inning. But then, the bats came alive.
Six batters in a row reached base in the top of the eighth, including a three run home run by Chris Johnson to give the Diamondbacks the 7-4 lead.
An inning later Miguel Montero drove in Justin Upton, and Chris Johnson belted another home run, making the score 10-4.
Though he did not pick up the win, Patrick Corbin had another quality start on the mound with 6 innings pitched and two earned runs on eight hits. In six appearances since the beginning of July, Corbin has given up just four runs in 20.2 innings pitched.
Takashi Saito came out of the bullpen in the seventh inning and faced four batters. The first, Starling Marte, homered to tie the game at 3-3. The next three loaded the bases with two hits and a walk. Mike Zagurski relieved Saito, but gave up a sacrifice fly to give the Pirates the temporary 4-3 lead.
Chris Johnson has hit five home runs and has driven in 15 runs in just eight games with the Arizona Diamondbacks. Johnson has only gone hitless in two of those eight games.
He said it:
"I'm just trying to keep it simple really, just trying to get a good pitch to hit and hit it hard. Some of them are going over the fence right now," Johnson said. "Hopefully this continues, I know it's probably not going to continue like it has been going but I'll keep on the grind and every day just try to get better."
Game three of the Diamondbacks four game series with the Pirates take place at 4:05 p.m. Wednesday. Ian Kennedy (10-8, 4.15 ERA) looks to win his fifth straight, matching up against Kevin Correia (8-6, 4.49 ERA). Correia has not lost a game in five starts.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series