A closer look: Strasburg stymies D-backs as Nationals win opener
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' August 10 loss to the Nationals. Final score: Nationals 9, Diamondbacks 1.
Newcomer Chris Johnson continued his offensive prowess and recorded another RBI for the D-backs. It was his first at Chase Field since being acquired from the Astros. Johnson now has 17 RBIs in 11 games with the Diamondbacks.
Starter Trevor Cahill gave up four earned runs on the night but he got out of the first inning without any issues, which has been a sore spot for the right-hander this season.
The Diamondbacks were unable to get to Nationals ace Stephen Strasburg. He threw six solid innings and gave up just one hit and one earned run with four walks and six strikeouts.
Some additional bad news for the D-backs came from backup catcher Henry Blanco. He told the media Friday that the team will re-examine his thumb in six weeks, so the odds of him coming back for any part of the regular season or postseason is highly unlikely.
Strasburg is 3-0 with a 0.95 ERA in his last three road starts. The one hit he allowed Friday also tied a career-best.
He Said It:
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talked about Strasburg and how his team felt when game got away from them.
"I thought we had a pretty good approach on him," Gibson said. "Didn't have a lot of energy to overcome that [Friday] to be honest with you."
The Diamondbacks will take on the Nationals in game two of this three-game series at Chase Field at 5:10 p.m. Rookie starter Wade Miley (12-7, 2.85) will go for his 13th win of the season. He is set to face former Diamondback Edwin Jackson (6-7, 3.56).
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.