A closer look: Miley's strong effort propels D-backs past Astros
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' August 17 win over the Astros. Final score: Diamondbacks 3, Astros 1.
D-backs starter Wade Miley (13-8) rebounded from two straight tough outings and delivered strong performance Friday, in front of over 100 family members and friends.
The southpaw tossed six innings, allowing one run on eight hits with no walks and five strikeouts.
Miley also helped his own cause with the bat, driving in a run in a close scoring contest.
The D-backs bullpen also provided a solid night's work in aid of Miley's gem. Brad Ziegler, David Hernandez and closer J.J. Putz each worked a one-hit inning.
Former Astro Chris Johnson went 0-for-3 with a strikeout against his former mates. This was the first time Johnson has faced Houston since he was traded to Arizona on July 28.
He Said It:
"Didn't come easy for sure, but [Miley] held us in there, six strong innings," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson said. "We kind of scratched and clawed three runs out of this game."
Before entering Friday's game against Houston, Miley had posted a 0-2 record with a 3.48 ERA in his previous two outings.
D-backs' left fielder Jason Kubel was out of the lineup with a sore neck.
The Astros have lost four of five, dropping to 6-28 since the All-Star break.
The D-backs will play game two of their three-game series against the Astros Saturday at 4:05 p.m. Left-hander Patrick Corbin (4-4, 3.41) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Jordan Lyles (2-9, 5.47).
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!