A closer look: Miley's strong effort propels D-backs past Astros
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' August 17 win over the Astros. Final score: Diamondbacks 3, Astros 1.
D-backs starter Wade Miley (13-8) rebounded from two straight tough outings and delivered strong performance Friday, in front of over 100 family members and friends.
The southpaw tossed six innings, allowing one run on eight hits with no walks and five strikeouts.
Miley also helped his own cause with the bat, driving in a run in a close scoring contest.
The D-backs bullpen also provided a solid night's work in aid of Miley's gem. Brad Ziegler, David Hernandez and closer J.J. Putz each worked a one-hit inning.
Former Astro Chris Johnson went 0-for-3 with a strikeout against his former mates. This was the first time Johnson has faced Houston since he was traded to Arizona on July 28.
He Said It:
"Didn't come easy for sure, but [Miley] held us in there, six strong innings," D-backs' manager Kirk Gibson said. "We kind of scratched and clawed three runs out of this game."
Before entering Friday's game against Houston, Miley had posted a 0-2 record with a 3.48 ERA in his previous two outings.
D-backs' left fielder Jason Kubel was out of the lineup with a sore neck.
The Astros have lost four of five, dropping to 6-28 since the All-Star break.
The D-backs will play game two of their three-game series against the Astros Saturday at 4:05 p.m. Left-hander Patrick Corbin (4-4, 3.41) will get the start for Arizona. He will be opposed by right-hander Jordan Lyles (2-9, 5.47).
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.
- Tom Candiotti, D-backs' broadcast analyst - Tuesday June 11He previews the D-backs/Dodgers match-up.
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 11Gibson discusses grinding out wins, the troubles with the starting rotation and Josh Collmenter.