A closer look: Hill hits two home runs as D-backs sweep Astros
Aaron Hill continues to swing a hot bat for the D-backs. The second baseman hit two home runs against the Astros Sunday, with solo shots in the fourth and eighth innings. Hill also stroked a double, going 3-for-4 on the day and raising his average to .298 on the season.
Starter Ian Kennedy (11-10) delivered a strong performance on the mound for Arizona. The right-hander gave up one run on five hits with seven strikeouts in six innings of work to notch his first win since August 3.
Houston's struggles continued under interim manager Tony DeFrancesco. The Astros dropped their fourth straight contest and saw their record fall to 7-33 in their last 40 games.
The D-backs won their ninth game in a row over the Astros Sunday.
Left-fielder Jason Kubel was back in the lineup for Arizona, after missing time with a sore neck.
He said it:
"Great series. It was needed," D-backs' second baseman Aaron Hill said. "Hopefully we can carry this into the next few series and just keep it rolling. We need to catch on fire and get some momentum to catch the guys in front of us."
The D-backs open a 10-game homestand at Chase Field. Left-hander Joe Saunders (6-9, 3.70) will get the start against the Miami Marlins Monday. He will be opposed by right-hander Mark Buehrle (10-11, 3.74).
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.