Arizona Diamondbacks trade SS Stephen Drew to Oakland Athletics
The Arizona Diamondbacks announced they have traded Stephen Drew to the Oakland Athletics for shortstop Sean Jamieson.
"These moves are always tough," D-backs' General Manager Kevin Towers told reporters after the trade was announced. "We thanked [Drew] for everything he's done for this organization."
Drew batted .193 with two home runs and 12 RBI in 40 games with the D-backs this season. He missed 137 games over the last two seasons after suffering a horrific ankle injury in July of 2011.
The 29-year-old said he was surprised to hear he was traded after the team's loss to Miami Monday.
"I was a little shocked," Drew said. "But, first and foremost, I want to say thanks to the fans who have supported me and also to the organization.
It's part of the business and I guess it's going to be good on both sides."
Drew is expected to report to Oakland tomorrow and will be reunited with his former manager Bob Melvin.
The 23-year-old Jamieson hit .234 with 10 home runs and 49 RBI in 118 games with Single-A Burlington this season. He was selected in the 17th round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft.
Towers believes the young shortstop has a bright future, even if he is a few years away from the big leagues.
"We acquired a young shortstop, a Canadian kid who has speed and power for the position," Towers said. "He's probably a ways away, but he's somebody we think is a legitimate middle-infield prospect, which is something we've lacked in our system."
The 6-foot-0, 193-pound right-handed hitter is a career .234 hitter with 13 home runs and 70 RBI over two minor league seasons in the Athletics organization.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer