Luis Gonzalez impressed by Tyler Skaggs' first outing
Former Arizona Diamondback Luis Gonzalez joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday and gave his impression of the youngster's first start.
"Very impressive," Gonzalez said. "He was good today."
Skaggs threw 6.2 innings and gave up just three hits, but did give up two earned runs on a second inning home run to Justin Ruggiano.
Skaggs quickly adjusted, after a short visit from his teammates and looked to have control of the game after that. Skaggs led the Diamondbacks to a 3-2 win, earning his first W.
"He settled right back into the ball game, started throwing that curveball really effective and seemed like he had command of the game," Gonzalez said. "It was good to see, it was impressive."
This wasn't the first time Gonzalez saw Skaggs pitch, and it wasn't the first time he was impressed with him either.
"The first time I saw him pitch was here against the Rockies," Gonzalez said. "They hit one of our guys and he quietly went back to the mound, got two quick outs and hit that third guy right in the rib cage. Right there I just fell in love with the guy. I said, 'He's going to be one of ours, he's going to be a good one.'"
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer