Updated Aug 24, 2012 - 5:57 pm
Justin Upton claimed off waivers, not going anywhere for now
Justin upton claimed by unidentified team. Can't see him being traded.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) August 24, 2012
The 24-year-old Upton is hitting a disappointing .273 on the season with just nine home runs and 49 RBI, but that he was placed on waivers is really not surprising or cause for alarm.
In fact, Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf chances of a deal being struck are very slim.
"We would probably have no interest in making a deal with the team that claimed Justin," he said.
It is not uncommon for star players to be placed on waivers at this point in the season, and just because Upton was put on waivers and claimed by someone does not mean his time as a D-backs is up.
"There's a cat-and-mouse game, it's a blockage deal a lot of times," Hall said.
"You try and see what sort of interest there is towards next year based on who was trying to claim him now," he said.
So Upton is safe, for now.
"Very unlikely that we would make a waiver deal for Justin Upton right now; that doesn't mean that we're never going to make a trade with him or for him in the future," Hall said.
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.