Updated Aug 24, 2012 - 5:57 pm
Justin Upton claimed off waivers, not going anywhere for now
Justin upton claimed by unidentified team. Can't see him being traded.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) August 24, 2012
The 24-year-old Upton is hitting a disappointing .273 on the season with just nine home runs and 49 RBI, but that he was placed on waivers is really not surprising or cause for alarm.
In fact, Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf chances of a deal being struck are very slim.
"We would probably have no interest in making a deal with the team that claimed Justin," he said.
It is not uncommon for star players to be placed on waivers at this point in the season, and just because Upton was put on waivers and claimed by someone does not mean his time as a D-backs is up.
"There's a cat-and-mouse game, it's a blockage deal a lot of times," Hall said.
"You try and see what sort of interest there is towards next year based on who was trying to claim him now," he said.
So Upton is safe, for now.
"Very unlikely that we would make a waiver deal for Justin Upton right now; that doesn't mean that we're never going to make a trade with him or for him in the future," Hall said.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.