Updated Aug 24, 2012 - 5:57 pm
Justin Upton claimed off waivers, not going anywhere for now
Justin upton claimed by unidentified team. Can't see him being traded.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) August 24, 2012
The 24-year-old Upton is hitting a disappointing .273 on the season with just nine home runs and 49 RBI, but that he was placed on waivers is really not surprising or cause for alarm.
In fact, Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf chances of a deal being struck are very slim.
"We would probably have no interest in making a deal with the team that claimed Justin," he said.
It is not uncommon for star players to be placed on waivers at this point in the season, and just because Upton was put on waivers and claimed by someone does not mean his time as a D-backs is up.
"There's a cat-and-mouse game, it's a blockage deal a lot of times," Hall said.
"You try and see what sort of interest there is towards next year based on who was trying to claim him now," he said.
So Upton is safe, for now.
"Very unlikely that we would make a waiver deal for Justin Upton right now; that doesn't mean that we're never going to make a trade with him or for him in the future," Hall said.
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.