Justin Upton claimed off waivers, not going anywhere for now
Justin upton claimed by unidentified team. Can't see him being traded.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) August 24, 2012
The 24-year-old Upton is hitting a disappointing .273 on the season with just nine home runs and 49 RBI, but that he was placed on waivers is really not surprising or cause for alarm.
In fact, Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf chances of a deal being struck are very slim.
"We would probably have no interest in making a deal with the team that claimed Justin," he said.
It is not uncommon for star players to be placed on waivers at this point in the season, and just because Upton was put on waivers and claimed by someone does not mean his time as a D-backs is up.
"There's a cat-and-mouse game, it's a blockage deal a lot of times," Hall said.
"You try and see what sort of interest there is towards next year based on who was trying to claim him now," he said.
So Upton is safe, for now.
"Very unlikely that we would make a waiver deal for Justin Upton right now; that doesn't mean that we're never going to make a trade with him or for him in the future," Hall said.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer