Updated Aug 24, 2012 - 5:57 pm
Justin Upton claimed off waivers, not going anywhere for now
Justin upton claimed by unidentified team. Can't see him being traded.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) August 24, 2012
The 24-year-old Upton is hitting a disappointing .273 on the season with just nine home runs and 49 RBI, but that he was placed on waivers is really not surprising or cause for alarm.
In fact, Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf chances of a deal being struck are very slim.
"We would probably have no interest in making a deal with the team that claimed Justin," he said.
It is not uncommon for star players to be placed on waivers at this point in the season, and just because Upton was put on waivers and claimed by someone does not mean his time as a D-backs is up.
"There's a cat-and-mouse game, it's a blockage deal a lot of times," Hall said.
"You try and see what sort of interest there is towards next year based on who was trying to claim him now," he said.
So Upton is safe, for now.
"Very unlikely that we would make a waiver deal for Justin Upton right now; that doesn't mean that we're never going to make a trade with him or for him in the future," Hall said.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.