Diamondbacks GM says team's fate will be sealed in upcoming road trip
Their record has fallen to 64-67 on the season, and their playoff hopes appear to get dimmer by the day.
An unsuccessful 10-game homestand now in the rear view mirror, the D-backs are set to embark on a road trip that will take them to Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego.
The stretch of games will be season-defining -- if not season-ending.
"Literally by the time this road trip's over our fate will be sealed one way or the other," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday.
That said, Towers said he still expects his team to make a run at the NL West. Acknowledging his team has dug itself quite a hole, the thought is until the D-backs are eliminated they will always have a chance.
"There's not an X by our name but we're running out of schedule and we're not playing good baseball," he said.
The trick then becomes figuring out how to get this team to play better than it has or, really, play like many thought it would.
The D-backs were a popular pick to not only win the NL West but represent the National League in the World Series, so to see them struggling to stay mediocre has to come as a surprise.
But, then again, big things were expected of this team for a reason, and the GM is not ready to give up on his team just yet.
"I'm not one to raise white flags," he said. "I know we've got a tough task ahead of us...crazy things happen in this game."
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer