Arizona Diamondbacks call up prospect Adam Eaton
According to manager Kirk Gibson, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, the team will call up prospect Adam Eaton from Triple-A Reno.
"We're going to bring Adam Eaton up," the skipper said. "He's going to play center field and probably lead off."
Eaton, 23, hit .381 with seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases this season for the Aces. He had an on-base percentage of .456.
The move is likely made in part due to an injury Chris Young suffered Monday in San Francisco. Gibson said the outfielder will likely be out a few days, so the team will need a replacement. Still, it's hard not to look at this as a short audition for a player who could be an everyday player as soon as next year.
In all, the timing just seems right.
"[Kevin Towers] just said that if anybody deserves to come up here and get an opportunity it's Adam Eaton," Gibson said. "He's done everything that we've asked of him and that's what we believe in doing."
Eaton was selected by the D-backs in the 19th round of the 2010 MLB Draft, and is a career .355 hitter in the minor leagues.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series