Updated Sep 4, 2012 - 1:05 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks call up prospect Adam Eaton
According to manager Kirk Gibson, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, the team will call up prospect Adam Eaton from Triple-A Reno.
"We're going to bring Adam Eaton up," the skipper said. "He's going to play center field and probably lead off."
Eaton, 23, hit .381 with seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases this season for the Aces. He had an on-base percentage of .456.
The move is likely made in part due to an injury Chris Young suffered Monday in San Francisco. Gibson said the outfielder will likely be out a few days, so the team will need a replacement. Still, it's hard not to look at this as a short audition for a player who could be an everyday player as soon as next year.
In all, the timing just seems right.
"[Kevin Towers] just said that if anybody deserves to come up here and get an opportunity it's Adam Eaton," Gibson said. "He's done everything that we've asked of him and that's what we believe in doing."
Eaton was selected by the D-backs in the 19th round of the 2010 MLB Draft, and is a career .355 hitter in the minor leagues.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.