Updated Sep 4, 2012 - 1:05 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks call up prospect Adam Eaton
According to manager Kirk Gibson, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, the team will call up prospect Adam Eaton from Triple-A Reno.
"We're going to bring Adam Eaton up," the skipper said. "He's going to play center field and probably lead off."
Eaton, 23, hit .381 with seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases this season for the Aces. He had an on-base percentage of .456.
The move is likely made in part due to an injury Chris Young suffered Monday in San Francisco. Gibson said the outfielder will likely be out a few days, so the team will need a replacement. Still, it's hard not to look at this as a short audition for a player who could be an everyday player as soon as next year.
In all, the timing just seems right.
"[Kevin Towers] just said that if anybody deserves to come up here and get an opportunity it's Adam Eaton," Gibson said. "He's done everything that we've asked of him and that's what we believe in doing."
Eaton was selected by the D-backs in the 19th round of the 2010 MLB Draft, and is a career .355 hitter in the minor leagues.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.