Updated Sep 4, 2012 - 1:05 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks call up prospect Adam Eaton
According to manager Kirk Gibson, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday, the team will call up prospect Adam Eaton from Triple-A Reno.
"We're going to bring Adam Eaton up," the skipper said. "He's going to play center field and probably lead off."
Eaton, 23, hit .381 with seven home runs, 45 RBI and 38 stolen bases this season for the Aces. He had an on-base percentage of .456.
The move is likely made in part due to an injury Chris Young suffered Monday in San Francisco. Gibson said the outfielder will likely be out a few days, so the team will need a replacement. Still, it's hard not to look at this as a short audition for a player who could be an everyday player as soon as next year.
In all, the timing just seems right.
"[Kevin Towers] just said that if anybody deserves to come up here and get an opportunity it's Adam Eaton," Gibson said. "He's done everything that we've asked of him and that's what we believe in doing."
Eaton was selected by the D-backs in the 19th round of the 2010 MLB Draft, and is a career .355 hitter in the minor leagues.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.