A closer look: D-backs blast 4 HRs in win over Padres
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' September 8 win against the Padres. Final score: Diamondbacks 8, Padres 5.
The D-backs offense exploded for 15 hits and four home runs in a 8-5 win over the Padres at Petco Park Saturday.
Left-fielder Jason Kubel launched two home runs while Aaron Hill and Justin Upton added solo shots. Upton also had a season-high four hits in the contest.
Arizona moved back to within striking distance of a postseason berth. They trail St. Louis for the second Wild Card spot by 5 1/2 games.
Despite notching his 15th win of the season, rookie lefty Wade Miley was not sharp against San Diego.
He pitched 5 1/3 innings and allowed five runs on eight hits with six strikeouts and three walks.
This D-backs win snapped a seven-game losing streak against the Padres.
Miley's three walks ended a run of 24 straight starts without giving up more than two walks.
This was the 10th multi-homer game for Kubel in his major league career.
He Said It:
"It's nice to finally beat these guys," Kubel said. "It seems like a really long time. We really need wins, as many as we can get, and this is a start."
The D-backs and Padres are back at it again Sunday at 1:05 p.m. Southpaw Patrick Corbin will get the start for Arizona (5-6, 4.13). He will be opposed by left-hander Andrew Werner (1-1, 3.00).
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.