Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 3:38 pm
Gibson: D-backs in better position than Cardinals were in 2011
With an upcoming eight-game home stand against three divisional foes -- Dodgers, Giants and Padres -- Gibson has faith his team can make a push similar to that of the 2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.
"I think we are in a better position now than the Cardinals were last year at this time," Gibson said Tuesday on his weekly radio spot with Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo. "Nobody thought they could do it, but that's why you play the games."
On this date a year ago, the eventual World Series champions were 79-67 and 4.5 games behind the Atlanta Braves. The Cardinals needed a win on the final night of the season along with a loss by the Braves just to secure their spot in the postseason.
Ironically, the team currently holding the second Wild Card spot are those same St. Louis Cardinals.
While many experts in Spring Training predicted the Diamondbacks would not only win the NL West but also contend for a spot in the Fall Classic, Gibson insists that now is not the time for his squad to concede what's left of the season.
"It is discouraging with this position we have put ourselves in," said Gibson. "But, there are great stories that happen every year in all kinds of different sports, why can't we be one of them?"
Of the final 21 games on their schedule, the Diamondbacks have 14 games at Chase Field and 18 within the division.
If they are to make a late-season surge, Gibson and Co. will have to leapfrog five teams to get to the second Wild Card spot.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.