Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 3:38 pm
Gibson: D-backs in better position than Cardinals were in 2011
With an upcoming eight-game home stand against three divisional foes -- Dodgers, Giants and Padres -- Gibson has faith his team can make a push similar to that of the 2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.
"I think we are in a better position now than the Cardinals were last year at this time," Gibson said Tuesday on his weekly radio spot with Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo. "Nobody thought they could do it, but that's why you play the games."
On this date a year ago, the eventual World Series champions were 79-67 and 4.5 games behind the Atlanta Braves. The Cardinals needed a win on the final night of the season along with a loss by the Braves just to secure their spot in the postseason.
Ironically, the team currently holding the second Wild Card spot are those same St. Louis Cardinals.
While many experts in Spring Training predicted the Diamondbacks would not only win the NL West but also contend for a spot in the Fall Classic, Gibson insists that now is not the time for his squad to concede what's left of the season.
"It is discouraging with this position we have put ourselves in," said Gibson. "But, there are great stories that happen every year in all kinds of different sports, why can't we be one of them?"
Of the final 21 games on their schedule, the Diamondbacks have 14 games at Chase Field and 18 within the division.
If they are to make a late-season surge, Gibson and Co. will have to leapfrog five teams to get to the second Wild Card spot.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.