Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 3:38 pm
Gibson: D-backs in better position than Cardinals were in 2011
With an upcoming eight-game home stand against three divisional foes -- Dodgers, Giants and Padres -- Gibson has faith his team can make a push similar to that of the 2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.
"I think we are in a better position now than the Cardinals were last year at this time," Gibson said Tuesday on his weekly radio spot with Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo. "Nobody thought they could do it, but that's why you play the games."
On this date a year ago, the eventual World Series champions were 79-67 and 4.5 games behind the Atlanta Braves. The Cardinals needed a win on the final night of the season along with a loss by the Braves just to secure their spot in the postseason.
Ironically, the team currently holding the second Wild Card spot are those same St. Louis Cardinals.
While many experts in Spring Training predicted the Diamondbacks would not only win the NL West but also contend for a spot in the Fall Classic, Gibson insists that now is not the time for his squad to concede what's left of the season.
"It is discouraging with this position we have put ourselves in," said Gibson. "But, there are great stories that happen every year in all kinds of different sports, why can't we be one of them?"
Of the final 21 games on their schedule, the Diamondbacks have 14 games at Chase Field and 18 within the division.
If they are to make a late-season surge, Gibson and Co. will have to leapfrog five teams to get to the second Wild Card spot.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.