Updated Sep 11, 2012 - 3:38 pm
Gibson: D-backs in better position than Cardinals were in 2011
With an upcoming eight-game home stand against three divisional foes -- Dodgers, Giants and Padres -- Gibson has faith his team can make a push similar to that of the 2011 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.
"I think we are in a better position now than the Cardinals were last year at this time," Gibson said Tuesday on his weekly radio spot with Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo. "Nobody thought they could do it, but that's why you play the games."
On this date a year ago, the eventual World Series champions were 79-67 and 4.5 games behind the Atlanta Braves. The Cardinals needed a win on the final night of the season along with a loss by the Braves just to secure their spot in the postseason.
Ironically, the team currently holding the second Wild Card spot are those same St. Louis Cardinals.
While many experts in Spring Training predicted the Diamondbacks would not only win the NL West but also contend for a spot in the Fall Classic, Gibson insists that now is not the time for his squad to concede what's left of the season.
"It is discouraging with this position we have put ourselves in," said Gibson. "But, there are great stories that happen every year in all kinds of different sports, why can't we be one of them?"
Of the final 21 games on their schedule, the Diamondbacks have 14 games at Chase Field and 18 within the division.
If they are to make a late-season surge, Gibson and Co. will have to leapfrog five teams to get to the second Wild Card spot.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.