A closer look: D-backs drop opener to Giants
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a baseball game. So, we will give you a closer look, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the D-backs' September 14 loss to the Giants. Final score: Giants 6, Diamondbacks 2.
Jason Kubel set the franchise record for outfield assists with 13 this season when he threw out Angel Pagan at first for a double play in the seventh inning.
The roof was open at Chase Field for the first time since June 9th against the Athletics, which is a sign that the weather is (slightly) cooling down.
The D-backs lost the opening game of the three-game weekend series with the Giants.
Tyler Skaggs lasted only four innings in the game and allowed five earned runs on five hits during that span. Skaggs is now 1-2 on the season with a 5.55 ERA.
In the sixth inning, Arizona had the bases loaded with no outs, and proceeded to score no runs as the ball didn't leave the infield over the next three at-bats.
The Diamondbacks are 2-9 in their last 11 home games. They have scored four runs or less in each of those games.
Miguel Montero became the second player in Diamondbacks history to reach base safely four times in a nine-inning game without recording a hit. He was also the fourth player in team history to reach base five times in one game with only one hit.
He Said It:
"It's been unacceptable on my part the past two outings, it's been almost embarrassing," D-backs starter Tyler Skaggs said after he got his second loss of the season.
The Diamondbacks will have Wade Miley (15-9) on the mound Saturday against Barry Zito (11-8) for the Giants. The team will be wearing the purple and white throwback jerseys and following the game will hold the first ever Alumni Game played at Chase Field. The game will feature former players Matt Williams and Luis Gonzalez, among many, many others.
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday June 12Tim Kurkjian joins the show to talk about last night's brawl between the Dbacks and the Dodgers.