Arizona Diamondbacks decide not to recall Trevor Bauer
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers said the young hurler took the news as well as can be expected.
"He's fine," Towers said. "I'd be lying if I didn't say that he's probably disappointed, he'd like to be up here. But I think he's grown up a lot. I think he's in a much better place than he was and the next time that he comes up here he'll be much more successful than he was the first time."
The 21-year-old right-hander has struggled with his control, amassing 17 walks in three playoff starts for the Reno Aces.
"I still think the fastball command needs to improve," Towers said. "I think we saw that [Tuesday] night. I think he needs to trust his fastball a little bit more, he likes to go to his secondary stuff. I think he's still a little bit strikeout happy."
The D-backs decision to not recall Bauer also has to do with the number of innings he's thrown this year and the desire to not tamper with their starting rotation while the team is still in the hunt for an NL Wild Card spot.
Bauer pitched 130.1 innings in the minors this season, 16.1 in his four major league starts and another 16.1 in the minor league playoffs.
On top of his high total of innings pitched, Bauer participates in a grueling pregame warm-up routine that the D-backs would like to see him cut back on.
Towers is confident Bauer understands the importance of listening to advice and feedback from coaches and mentors.
"There's a lot of people that want him to be successful and sometimes when you're a young kid, learning to be a big leaguer and what it takes to be a big leaguer and handle adverse situations, sometimes it's tough but I think mentally he's making a lot of progress," Towers said.
The D-backs still have high hopes for Bauer's future and feel this decision is the right one for his development and long-term success with the club.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer