Diamondbacks begin looking towards 2013
As mediocre as mediocre can be this season, the team has failed to meet expectations. The process towards building for next year, D-backs president Derrick Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, will begin in earnest next week.
"We're going to have meetings that start really Monday and Tuesday," he said. "All of our scouts are coming into town."
Hall said the team's farm director and scouting director will also be in town, with the plan being to take a good look at the roster and figure out the plan going into the offseason.
That could include parting with right fielder Justin Upton, who has been the subject of trade rumors for the better part of the last two seasons.
"I think [GM Kevin Towers] has made it clear that we're never going to say anybody's off limits," Hall said when asked what Upton's status was. "I think in Justin's case nothing has changed from a statement that KT or myself would have made going into this season, saying that we'll listen to anybody and see what's out there."
Hall added that a deal involving parting with a player of Upton's caliber would have to be one that "knocks your socks off" and makes the team better.
"If that could ever happen, who knows," Hall said. "Are we a better team with Justin? No doubt about it."
Upton, who is hitting .275 on the season with 15 home runs and 62 RBI, has hit .299 with four home runs and nine RBI in the month of September. It's too little too late for the 2012 D-backs, but enough to remind people what the 25-year-old is capable of.
"When Justin's hot, we're hot," Hall said. "He was carrying us again these last couple weeks."
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer