Updated Oct 1, 2012 - 5:09 pm
Kirk Gibson: ‘I got to be better'
After winning the NL West crown last year, many experts thought the Diamondbacks had what it took to be Word Series contenders this season.
Now, the Diamondbacks find themselves fighting just to have a winning record.
"I think we had more potential and we can dissect it many different ways why we didn't win more games," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "Maybe overachieved a little bit last year, but I know we underachieved this year."
Gibson said he takes responsibly for a season that he described as "discouraging."
"I got to be better" Gibson said. "I take responsibility and accountability for our under-performing, that is just the way I am."
Gibson plans on going to the woods with his wife and just decompressing once the season is over.
"There will be a lot of quiet time, there will be no people around and I will have no itinerary," Gibson said. "I can just absorb what has happened and we can start to culture some ideas and some thoughts."
The Diamondbacks are now just a mediocre 80-79 team with a meaningless three game series left against the Colorado Rockies.
"I am very motivated to be better next year, to be a better leader and to put us in better position to not feel the way we do at this time next year," Gibson said.
- Randy Wolf impressive in Triple-A start
- D-backs will consider 'any and everything' when it comes to personnel changes
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.