Updated Oct 1, 2012 - 5:09 pm
Kirk Gibson: 選 got to be better'
After winning the NL West crown last year, many experts thought the Diamondbacks had what it took to be Word Series contenders this season.
Now, the Diamondbacks find themselves fighting just to have a winning record.
"I think we had more potential and we can dissect it many different ways why we didn't win more games," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "Maybe overachieved a little bit last year, but I know we underachieved this year."
Gibson said he takes responsibly for a season that he described as "discouraging."
"I got to be better" Gibson said. "I take responsibility and accountability for our under-performing, that is just the way I am."
Gibson plans on going to the woods with his wife and just decompressing once the season is over.
"There will be a lot of quiet time, there will be no people around and I will have no itinerary," Gibson said. "I can just absorb what has happened and we can start to culture some ideas and some thoughts."
The Diamondbacks are now just a mediocre 80-79 team with a meaningless three game series left against the Colorado Rockies.
"I am very motivated to be better next year, to be a better leader and to put us in better position to not feel the way we do at this time next year," Gibson said.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.