Updated Oct 1, 2012 - 5:09 pm
Kirk Gibson: ‘I got to be better'
After winning the NL West crown last year, many experts thought the Diamondbacks had what it took to be Word Series contenders this season.
Now, the Diamondbacks find themselves fighting just to have a winning record.
"I think we had more potential and we can dissect it many different ways why we didn't win more games," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "Maybe overachieved a little bit last year, but I know we underachieved this year."
Gibson said he takes responsibly for a season that he described as "discouraging."
"I got to be better" Gibson said. "I take responsibility and accountability for our under-performing, that is just the way I am."
Gibson plans on going to the woods with his wife and just decompressing once the season is over.
"There will be a lot of quiet time, there will be no people around and I will have no itinerary," Gibson said. "I can just absorb what has happened and we can start to culture some ideas and some thoughts."
The Diamondbacks are now just a mediocre 80-79 team with a meaningless three game series left against the Colorado Rockies.
"I am very motivated to be better next year, to be a better leader and to put us in better position to not feel the way we do at this time next year," Gibson said.
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.