Updated Oct 1, 2012 - 5:09 pm
Kirk Gibson: ‘I got to be better'
After winning the NL West crown last year, many experts thought the Diamondbacks had what it took to be Word Series contenders this season.
Now, the Diamondbacks find themselves fighting just to have a winning record.
"I think we had more potential and we can dissect it many different ways why we didn't win more games," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. "Maybe overachieved a little bit last year, but I know we underachieved this year."
Gibson said he takes responsibly for a season that he described as "discouraging."
"I got to be better" Gibson said. "I take responsibility and accountability for our under-performing, that is just the way I am."
Gibson plans on going to the woods with his wife and just decompressing once the season is over.
"There will be a lot of quiet time, there will be no people around and I will have no itinerary," Gibson said. "I can just absorb what has happened and we can start to culture some ideas and some thoughts."
The Diamondbacks are now just a mediocre 80-79 team with a meaningless three game series left against the Colorado Rockies.
"I am very motivated to be better next year, to be a better leader and to put us in better position to not feel the way we do at this time next year," Gibson said.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.