Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 5:09 pm
D-backs GM: Trevor Bauer needs to be open-minded
There has never been any question of Trevor Bauer's talent. Arizona's highly-acclaimed prospect won the D-backs "Pitcher of the Year" honors after putting together a dominant season in the minors.
The 21-year-old right-hander's seemingly high ceiling and endless potential could only be derailed by one thing: his attitude.
The 6'1", 185-pound UCLA product is strong-willed and set in his ways. During his brief stint in the majors, he failed to heed advice from catcher Miguel Montero and his coaching staff.
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers echoed owner Ken Kendrick's sentiments that Bauer will need to come to Spring Training with newfound maturity if he hopes to be a part of the 2013 starting rotation.
"If he could be open-minded and rely on people like [closer JJ Putz] and [Montero] and people who have been in the game for a while, they are out there to help him, they want to make him better," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "There is some stubbornness to [Bauer] at times but I think all in all he's really a good kid."
His attitude isn't the only area of concern for D-backs' brass, who also hope to see Bauer regain control of his heater.
"Fastball command is paramount at the big league level and I think that's something he lacked when he was up here," Towers said.
Bauer went 1-2 with a 6.06 ERA, 17 strikeouts and 13 walks in four major league starts this season.
Towers believes a year under Bauer's belt with some turmoil will only help the young hurler grow a thick skin and a strong constitution, two qualities he'll need if he hopes to have a long, prosperous major league career.
"He's got the weapons, he's got the repertoire of pitches and I think hopefully after coming to the big leagues, facing some adversity once he comes into Spring Training next year, I think he'll come in with a little bit different outlook and what he needs to be successful and people he needs to lean on, people he needs to listen to," Towers said.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.