Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 5:09 pm
D-backs GM: Trevor Bauer needs to be open-minded
There has never been any question of Trevor Bauer's talent. Arizona's highly-acclaimed prospect won the D-backs "Pitcher of the Year" honors after putting together a dominant season in the minors.
The 21-year-old right-hander's seemingly high ceiling and endless potential could only be derailed by one thing: his attitude.
The 6'1", 185-pound UCLA product is strong-willed and set in his ways. During his brief stint in the majors, he failed to heed advice from catcher Miguel Montero and his coaching staff.
D-backs general manager Kevin Towers echoed owner Ken Kendrick's sentiments that Bauer will need to come to Spring Training with newfound maturity if he hopes to be a part of the 2013 starting rotation.
"If he could be open-minded and rely on people like [closer JJ Putz] and [Montero] and people who have been in the game for a while, they are out there to help him, they want to make him better," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "There is some stubbornness to [Bauer] at times but I think all in all he's really a good kid."
His attitude isn't the only area of concern for D-backs' brass, who also hope to see Bauer regain control of his heater.
"Fastball command is paramount at the big league level and I think that's something he lacked when he was up here," Towers said.
Bauer went 1-2 with a 6.06 ERA, 17 strikeouts and 13 walks in four major league starts this season.
Towers believes a year under Bauer's belt with some turmoil will only help the young hurler grow a thick skin and a strong constitution, two qualities he'll need if he hopes to have a long, prosperous major league career.
"He's got the weapons, he's got the repertoire of pitches and I think hopefully after coming to the big leagues, facing some adversity once he comes into Spring Training next year, I think he'll come in with a little bit different outlook and what he needs to be successful and people he needs to lean on, people he needs to listen to," Towers said.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?