Updated Oct 19, 2012 - 4:10 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks add Steve Berthiaume and Bob Brenly to broadcast booth
The team announced Thursday it has hired ESPN studio host Steve Berthiaume to do play-by-play, while Bob Brenly will handle color commentary.
"We are ecstatic to be bringing in such a dynamic broadcast duo like Bob and Steve," said D-backs President Derrick Hall in a press release announcing the move. "Not only are we able to reach back to our roots with someone who has played such a significant role in our franchise's history, but we truly feel that Bob is the best analyst in the game today. With Steve, we believe that his ability to connect with our fans and his tremendous work on the national stage over the last several years makes him the perfect addition to the booth."
Berthiaume previously anchored ESPN's Baseball Tonight, but also served as a play-by-play announcer for Major League games in the network's league-wide package along with College World Series Super Regional coverage.
He will be replacing Daron Sutton, who was suspended by the team in June for unspecified reasons. Brenly will be filling the void left by Mark Grace, who was not brought back by the team following a second DUI arrest that occurred in August.
Brenly originally held the role with the team from 1998-2000, before leaving the booth to take over as manager in 2001. The former big league catcher guided the Diamondbacks to a World Series championship in 2001 as well as an NL West title in 2002, but was relieved of his duties midway through a tumultuous 2004 campaign.
From there, Brenly was hired to do analyst work for the Chicago Cubs on WGN, a job held from 2004 through this past season.
Brenly also spent time working national games for TBS.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.