Updated Oct 19, 2012 - 4:10 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks add Steve Berthiaume and Bob Brenly to broadcast booth
The team announced Thursday it has hired ESPN studio host Steve Berthiaume to do play-by-play, while Bob Brenly will handle color commentary.
"We are ecstatic to be bringing in such a dynamic broadcast duo like Bob and Steve," said D-backs President Derrick Hall in a press release announcing the move. "Not only are we able to reach back to our roots with someone who has played such a significant role in our franchise's history, but we truly feel that Bob is the best analyst in the game today. With Steve, we believe that his ability to connect with our fans and his tremendous work on the national stage over the last several years makes him the perfect addition to the booth."
Berthiaume previously anchored ESPN's Baseball Tonight, but also served as a play-by-play announcer for Major League games in the network's league-wide package along with College World Series Super Regional coverage.
He will be replacing Daron Sutton, who was suspended by the team in June for unspecified reasons. Brenly will be filling the void left by Mark Grace, who was not brought back by the team following a second DUI arrest that occurred in August.
Brenly originally held the role with the team from 1998-2000, before leaving the booth to take over as manager in 2001. The former big league catcher guided the Diamondbacks to a World Series championship in 2001 as well as an NL West title in 2002, but was relieved of his duties midway through a tumultuous 2004 campaign.
From there, Brenly was hired to do analyst work for the Chicago Cubs on WGN, a job held from 2004 through this past season.
Brenly also spent time working national games for TBS.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.