Arizona Diamondbacks add Steve Berthiaume and Bob Brenly to broadcast booth
The team announced Thursday it has hired ESPN studio host Steve Berthiaume to do play-by-play, while Bob Brenly will handle color commentary.
"We are ecstatic to be bringing in such a dynamic broadcast duo like Bob and Steve," said D-backs President Derrick Hall in a press release announcing the move. "Not only are we able to reach back to our roots with someone who has played such a significant role in our franchise's history, but we truly feel that Bob is the best analyst in the game today. With Steve, we believe that his ability to connect with our fans and his tremendous work on the national stage over the last several years makes him the perfect addition to the booth."
Berthiaume previously anchored ESPN's Baseball Tonight, but also served as a play-by-play announcer for Major League games in the network's league-wide package along with College World Series Super Regional coverage.
He will be replacing Daron Sutton, who was suspended by the team in June for unspecified reasons. Brenly will be filling the void left by Mark Grace, who was not brought back by the team following a second DUI arrest that occurred in August.
Brenly originally held the role with the team from 1998-2000, before leaving the booth to take over as manager in 2001. The former big league catcher guided the Diamondbacks to a World Series championship in 2001 as well as an NL West title in 2002, but was relieved of his duties midway through a tumultuous 2004 campaign.
From there, Brenly was hired to do analyst work for the Chicago Cubs on WGN, a job held from 2004 through this past season.
Brenly also spent time working national games for TBS.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series