Updated Oct 19, 2012 - 4:10 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks add Steve Berthiaume and Bob Brenly to broadcast booth
The team announced Thursday it has hired ESPN studio host Steve Berthiaume to do play-by-play, while Bob Brenly will handle color commentary.
"We are ecstatic to be bringing in such a dynamic broadcast duo like Bob and Steve," said D-backs President Derrick Hall in a press release announcing the move. "Not only are we able to reach back to our roots with someone who has played such a significant role in our franchise's history, but we truly feel that Bob is the best analyst in the game today. With Steve, we believe that his ability to connect with our fans and his tremendous work on the national stage over the last several years makes him the perfect addition to the booth."
Berthiaume previously anchored ESPN's Baseball Tonight, but also served as a play-by-play announcer for Major League games in the network's league-wide package along with College World Series Super Regional coverage.
He will be replacing Daron Sutton, who was suspended by the team in June for unspecified reasons. Brenly will be filling the void left by Mark Grace, who was not brought back by the team following a second DUI arrest that occurred in August.
Brenly originally held the role with the team from 1998-2000, before leaving the booth to take over as manager in 2001. The former big league catcher guided the Diamondbacks to a World Series championship in 2001 as well as an NL West title in 2002, but was relieved of his duties midway through a tumultuous 2004 campaign.
From there, Brenly was hired to do analyst work for the Chicago Cubs on WGN, a job held from 2004 through this past season.
Brenly also spent time working national games for TBS.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.