Updated Oct 22, 2012 - 5:21 pm
D-backs manager says Alex Rodriguez has 'a lot' left
D-backs fans were treated to a constant carousel at the hot corner that saw Ryan Roberts, Josh Bell, Chris Johnson, Ryan Wheeler and Cody Ransom all start 20-plus games. Geoff Blum also saw time at third base. In total they went on to hit a combined .239 with 21 home runs and 110 runs batted in.
The answer to their problem might come in the form of New York Yankee Alex Rodriguez. Following a playoff performance that saw Rodriguez go 3-for-27 with 12 strikeouts, reports have come out that the Yankees might look to move the polarizing slugger.
"I think there will certainly be interest," Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson told Arizona Sport 620's Burns and Gambo when asked about the D-backs possibly pursuing Rodriguez.
Gibson, who said he's not exactly the right guy to talk to about any possible interest from the Diamondbacks, does think there are more good seasons left in Rodriguez.
"It happens with players all the time throughout the history of the game. Guys think they're washed up, they go somewhere else to get a breath of fresh air, revitalize themselves and they have quite a few years left in them," said Gibson. "It happened to me when I was getting older. My career guys were questioning whether my bat was fast enough. You have to deal with it. There's a lot left, I think, in Alex Rodriguez."
But obtaining Rodriguez might be easier said than done, as he is due to make $114 million over the next five years. Not to mention he has a no trade clause in his contract. If the Yankees are willing to eat a huge chunk of that contract and the right situation presents itself, fans could see the D-backs throw their name into the hat as potential suitors for the former MVP.
"Well I think he's struggling that's self explanatory. I see a lot of mentality problems right now and I think it's been a real tough postseason," said Gibson. "I think he certainly has the opportunity to come back and play well -- given the opportunity."
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- MLB insider on Diamondbacks: 'It's as if they've never seen Mark Trumbo play'
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.