Arizona Diamondbacks exercise 2013 option on J.J. Putz
The team released a press release Saturday announcing their decision to exercise the club option on Putz's contract.
"J.J. has done a tremendous job for us over the past two seasons and is the leader of our bullpen," General Manager Kevin Towers said. "We are looking forward to bringing him back in the same role next season as we continue to look for ways to strengthen the team."
Putz was 1-5 with a 2.82 ERA, 32 saves, 65 strikeouts and 5 blown saves in 54.1 innings pitch for the 2012 campaign.
In 514 career major league games, Putz is 33-31 with a 3.04 ERA and 183 saves which ranks 11th among active big leaguers.
Putz will enter 2013 with the opportunity to be the 45th pitcher to notch 200 saves and the first member of the D-backs in franchise history to record 100 saves.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday May 23Timmy gives us insider insight into this week's top MLB headlines.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.