Updated Oct 20, 2012 - 4:02 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks trade Chris Young, acquire Pennington and Bell in three-team deal
The Arizona Diamondbacks are wasting no time making plans for the 2013 campaign.
The D-backs announced two trades Saturday, which turned into a three-team deal.
Arizona traded center fielder Chris Young and cash considerations to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for shortstop Cliff Pennington and minor league infielder Yordy Cabrera.
The D-backs then flipped Cabrera to the Miami Marlins for veteran reliever Heath Bell and cash considerations.
In 2012, Young struggled through an injury-plagued season. He hit .231 with 14 home runs and 41 RBI in 101 games. Young will make $8.5 million in 2013 and has an $11 million club option for 2014 that includes a $1.5 million buyout.
The 29-year-old tweeted his appreciation to D-backs fans during his tenure in the desert.
Pennington hit .215 with six home runs and 28 RBI in 125 games for the A's last season. He moved to second base after the team acquired Stephen Drew from the D-backs on August 20.
The 28-year-old finished the season strong for Oakland, batting .267 with three home runs and 10 RBI. In the American League Division series against the Detroit Tigers, Pennington went 4-for-14 with a .286 average.
Bell went 4-5 with a 5.09 ERA and 19 saves in 2012 for the Marlins. The right-hander lost his closer job a few times last season and often butted heads with manager Ozzie Guillen.
Miami inked the 35-year-old to a three-year, $27 million back-loaded contract last winter. The D-backs will pay $13 million of the $21 million owed to Bell.
- The Yoke of Leadership
- D-backs' GM Kevin Towers: If improvement doesn't happen, 'heads are gonna roll'
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?