Updated Oct 20, 2012 - 4:02 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks trade Chris Young, acquire Pennington and Bell in three-team deal
The Arizona Diamondbacks are wasting no time making plans for the 2013 campaign.
The D-backs announced two trades Saturday, which turned into a three-team deal.
Arizona traded center fielder Chris Young and cash considerations to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for shortstop Cliff Pennington and minor league infielder Yordy Cabrera.
The D-backs then flipped Cabrera to the Miami Marlins for veteran reliever Heath Bell and cash considerations.
In 2012, Young struggled through an injury-plagued season. He hit .231 with 14 home runs and 41 RBI in 101 games. Young will make $8.5 million in 2013 and has an $11 million club option for 2014 that includes a $1.5 million buyout.
The 29-year-old tweeted his appreciation to D-backs fans during his tenure in the desert.
Pennington hit .215 with six home runs and 28 RBI in 125 games for the A's last season. He moved to second base after the team acquired Stephen Drew from the D-backs on August 20.
The 28-year-old finished the season strong for Oakland, batting .267 with three home runs and 10 RBI. In the American League Division series against the Detroit Tigers, Pennington went 4-for-14 with a .286 average.
Bell went 4-5 with a 5.09 ERA and 19 saves in 2012 for the Marlins. The right-hander lost his closer job a few times last season and often butted heads with manager Ozzie Guillen.
Miami inked the 35-year-old to a three-year, $27 million back-loaded contract last winter. The D-backs will pay $13 million of the $21 million owed to Bell.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.