Updated Oct 20, 2012 - 4:02 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks trade Chris Young, acquire Pennington and Bell in three-team deal
The Arizona Diamondbacks are wasting no time making plans for the 2013 campaign.
The D-backs announced two trades Saturday, which turned into a three-team deal.
Arizona traded center fielder Chris Young and cash considerations to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for shortstop Cliff Pennington and minor league infielder Yordy Cabrera.
The D-backs then flipped Cabrera to the Miami Marlins for veteran reliever Heath Bell and cash considerations.
In 2012, Young struggled through an injury-plagued season. He hit .231 with 14 home runs and 41 RBI in 101 games. Young will make $8.5 million in 2013 and has an $11 million club option for 2014 that includes a $1.5 million buyout.
The 29-year-old tweeted his appreciation to D-backs fans during his tenure in the desert.
Pennington hit .215 with six home runs and 28 RBI in 125 games for the A's last season. He moved to second base after the team acquired Stephen Drew from the D-backs on August 20.
The 28-year-old finished the season strong for Oakland, batting .267 with three home runs and 10 RBI. In the American League Division series against the Detroit Tigers, Pennington went 4-for-14 with a .286 average.
Bell went 4-5 with a 5.09 ERA and 19 saves in 2012 for the Marlins. The right-hander lost his closer job a few times last season and often butted heads with manager Ozzie Guillen.
Miami inked the 35-year-old to a three-year, $27 million back-loaded contract last winter. The D-backs will pay $13 million of the $21 million owed to Bell.
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?