Updated Oct 20, 2012 - 4:02 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks trade Chris Young, acquire Pennington and Bell in three-team deal
The Arizona Diamondbacks are wasting no time making plans for the 2013 campaign.
The D-backs announced two trades Saturday, which turned into a three-team deal.
Arizona traded center fielder Chris Young and cash considerations to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for shortstop Cliff Pennington and minor league infielder Yordy Cabrera.
The D-backs then flipped Cabrera to the Miami Marlins for veteran reliever Heath Bell and cash considerations.
In 2012, Young struggled through an injury-plagued season. He hit .231 with 14 home runs and 41 RBI in 101 games. Young will make $8.5 million in 2013 and has an $11 million club option for 2014 that includes a $1.5 million buyout.
The 29-year-old tweeted his appreciation to D-backs fans during his tenure in the desert.
Pennington hit .215 with six home runs and 28 RBI in 125 games for the A's last season. He moved to second base after the team acquired Stephen Drew from the D-backs on August 20.
The 28-year-old finished the season strong for Oakland, batting .267 with three home runs and 10 RBI. In the American League Division series against the Detroit Tigers, Pennington went 4-for-14 with a .286 average.
Bell went 4-5 with a 5.09 ERA and 19 saves in 2012 for the Marlins. The right-hander lost his closer job a few times last season and often butted heads with manager Ozzie Guillen.
Miami inked the 35-year-old to a three-year, $27 million back-loaded contract last winter. The D-backs will pay $13 million of the $21 million owed to Bell.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.