Updated Oct 20, 2012 - 4:02 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks trade Chris Young, acquire Pennington and Bell in three-team deal
The Arizona Diamondbacks are wasting no time making plans for the 2013 campaign.
The D-backs announced two trades Saturday, which turned into a three-team deal.
Arizona traded center fielder Chris Young and cash considerations to the Oakland Athletics in exchange for shortstop Cliff Pennington and minor league infielder Yordy Cabrera.
The D-backs then flipped Cabrera to the Miami Marlins for veteran reliever Heath Bell and cash considerations.
In 2012, Young struggled through an injury-plagued season. He hit .231 with 14 home runs and 41 RBI in 101 games. Young will make $8.5 million in 2013 and has an $11 million club option for 2014 that includes a $1.5 million buyout.
The 29-year-old tweeted his appreciation to D-backs fans during his tenure in the desert.
Pennington hit .215 with six home runs and 28 RBI in 125 games for the A's last season. He moved to second base after the team acquired Stephen Drew from the D-backs on August 20.
The 28-year-old finished the season strong for Oakland, batting .267 with three home runs and 10 RBI. In the American League Division series against the Detroit Tigers, Pennington went 4-for-14 with a .286 average.
Bell went 4-5 with a 5.09 ERA and 19 saves in 2012 for the Marlins. The right-hander lost his closer job a few times last season and often butted heads with manager Ozzie Guillen.
Miami inked the 35-year-old to a three-year, $27 million back-loaded contract last winter. The D-backs will pay $13 million of the $21 million owed to Bell.
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.