Updated Oct 23, 2012 - 9:27 pm
Luis Gonzalez a managerial candidate for the Miami Marlins?
But that hasn't stopped local media members out in South Beach from speculating as to who could be the next skipper when the team takes the field in 2013.
One of those names put out by Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is Luis Gonzalez, who currently serves as a special assistant to Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall.
How about Luis Gonzalez? Ex-Marlin is believed to have support in front office and source tells me he'd listen: sunsent.nl/TF1kl8— Mike Berardino (@MikeBerardino) October 24, 2012
Gonzalez, who also spent time in 2012 as the D-backs' TV color analyst, certainly has the playing experience to qualify for the job opening.
The former left fielder played 19 seasons in the big leagues, making five All-Star Game appearances and most notably helped the D-backs win their lone World Series title back in 2001.
While Gonzalez's greatest ties might be right here in the Valley, he does have a history with the Marlins. Back in 2008, Gonzo finished his major league career in Florida and left on good terms with owner Jeffrey Loria and team president David Samson.
Although the fit seems like a plausible one for both Gonzalez and the Marlins, the Florida native isn't the only former ballplayer thought to be considered for Miami's managerial vacancy.
Former Marlin Mike Lowell and long-time catcher Brad Ausmus -- who recently interviewed for the Red Sox's job -- are also potential candidates.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.