Updated Oct 23, 2012 - 9:27 pm
Luis Gonzalez a managerial candidate for the Miami Marlins?
But that hasn't stopped local media members out in South Beach from speculating as to who could be the next skipper when the team takes the field in 2013.
One of those names put out by Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is Luis Gonzalez, who currently serves as a special assistant to Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall.
How about Luis Gonzalez? Ex-Marlin is believed to have support in front office and source tells me he'd listen: sunsent.nl/TF1kl8— Mike Berardino (@MikeBerardino) October 24, 2012
Gonzalez, who also spent time in 2012 as the D-backs' TV color analyst, certainly has the playing experience to qualify for the job opening.
The former left fielder played 19 seasons in the big leagues, making five All-Star Game appearances and most notably helped the D-backs win their lone World Series title back in 2001.
While Gonzalez's greatest ties might be right here in the Valley, he does have a history with the Marlins. Back in 2008, Gonzo finished his major league career in Florida and left on good terms with owner Jeffrey Loria and team president David Samson.
Although the fit seems like a plausible one for both Gonzalez and the Marlins, the Florida native isn't the only former ballplayer thought to be considered for Miami's managerial vacancy.
Former Marlin Mike Lowell and long-time catcher Brad Ausmus -- who recently interviewed for the Red Sox's job -- are also potential candidates.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.