Updated Oct 23, 2012 - 9:27 pm
Luis Gonzalez a managerial candidate for the Miami Marlins?
But that hasn't stopped local media members out in South Beach from speculating as to who could be the next skipper when the team takes the field in 2013.
One of those names put out by Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is Luis Gonzalez, who currently serves as a special assistant to Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall.
How about Luis Gonzalez? Ex-Marlin is believed to have support in front office and source tells me he'd listen: sunsent.nl/TF1kl8— Mike Berardino (@MikeBerardino) October 24, 2012
Gonzalez, who also spent time in 2012 as the D-backs' TV color analyst, certainly has the playing experience to qualify for the job opening.
The former left fielder played 19 seasons in the big leagues, making five All-Star Game appearances and most notably helped the D-backs win their lone World Series title back in 2001.
While Gonzalez's greatest ties might be right here in the Valley, he does have a history with the Marlins. Back in 2008, Gonzo finished his major league career in Florida and left on good terms with owner Jeffrey Loria and team president David Samson.
Although the fit seems like a plausible one for both Gonzalez and the Marlins, the Florida native isn't the only former ballplayer thought to be considered for Miami's managerial vacancy.
Former Marlin Mike Lowell and long-time catcher Brad Ausmus -- who recently interviewed for the Red Sox's job -- are also potential candidates.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.