Updated Oct 23, 2012 - 9:27 pm
Luis Gonzalez a managerial candidate for the Miami Marlins?
But that hasn't stopped local media members out in South Beach from speculating as to who could be the next skipper when the team takes the field in 2013.
One of those names put out by Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is Luis Gonzalez, who currently serves as a special assistant to Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall.
How about Luis Gonzalez? Ex-Marlin is believed to have support in front office and source tells me he'd listen: sunsent.nl/TF1kl8— Mike Berardino (@MikeBerardino) October 24, 2012
Gonzalez, who also spent time in 2012 as the D-backs' TV color analyst, certainly has the playing experience to qualify for the job opening.
The former left fielder played 19 seasons in the big leagues, making five All-Star Game appearances and most notably helped the D-backs win their lone World Series title back in 2001.
While Gonzalez's greatest ties might be right here in the Valley, he does have a history with the Marlins. Back in 2008, Gonzo finished his major league career in Florida and left on good terms with owner Jeffrey Loria and team president David Samson.
Although the fit seems like a plausible one for both Gonzalez and the Marlins, the Florida native isn't the only former ballplayer thought to be considered for Miami's managerial vacancy.
Former Marlin Mike Lowell and long-time catcher Brad Ausmus -- who recently interviewed for the Red Sox's job -- are also potential candidates.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?