Updated Oct 23, 2012 - 9:27 pm
Luis Gonzalez a managerial candidate for the Miami Marlins?
But that hasn't stopped local media members out in South Beach from speculating as to who could be the next skipper when the team takes the field in 2013.
One of those names put out by Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel is Luis Gonzalez, who currently serves as a special assistant to Diamondbacks president and CEO Derrick Hall.
How about Luis Gonzalez? Ex-Marlin is believed to have support in front office and source tells me he'd listen: sunsent.nl/TF1kl8— Mike Berardino (@MikeBerardino) October 24, 2012
Gonzalez, who also spent time in 2012 as the D-backs' TV color analyst, certainly has the playing experience to qualify for the job opening.
The former left fielder played 19 seasons in the big leagues, making five All-Star Game appearances and most notably helped the D-backs win their lone World Series title back in 2001.
While Gonzalez's greatest ties might be right here in the Valley, he does have a history with the Marlins. Back in 2008, Gonzo finished his major league career in Florida and left on good terms with owner Jeffrey Loria and team president David Samson.
Although the fit seems like a plausible one for both Gonzalez and the Marlins, the Florida native isn't the only former ballplayer thought to be considered for Miami's managerial vacancy.
Former Marlin Mike Lowell and long-time catcher Brad Ausmus -- who recently interviewed for the Red Sox's job -- are also potential candidates.
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.