Updated Nov 7, 2012 - 1:50 pm
Report: D-backs again interested in trading Justin Upton
The 25-year-old Upton had a disappointing 2012 campaign which saw him hit .280, a mark consistent with his career numbers. But his stats dropped substantially from 2011 in several categories, including home runs (31 to 17), RBI (88 to 67) and slugging percentage (.529 to .430).
In his story, Rosenthal cites insiders who say there's a very distinct chance Upton will be moved by opening day 2013.
Major-league sources, however, say the team is again engaged in active discussions about Upton, and one estimates the chances of him playing elsewhere next season are "80-20."
The D-backs tried to trade Upton following both the 2010 and 2011 regular seasons, and his name was mentioned in frequent trade rumors before last July's trade deadline.
The Diamondbacks will be seeking help on the left side of their infield this offseason, and have already traded for Oakland shortstop Cliff Pennington. As Rosenthal points out, Texas shortstop Elvis Andrus could make sense as a trade target, as the Rangers will likely be trying to fill the hole in the lineup if Josh Hamilton should leave via free agency.
Additionally, Texas has shortstop Jurickson Profar in their system, and the 19-year-old is considered by most to be the top infield prospect in all of baseball, making Andrus expendable.
- D-backs GM: Shortstop position still up for grabs
- A little from Trevor Cahill would mean a lot for the D-backs
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Jeff Passan, senior baseball columnist Yahoo! Sports - Wednesday March 12Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.