Updated Nov 7, 2012 - 1:50 pm
Report: D-backs again interested in trading Justin Upton
The 25-year-old Upton had a disappointing 2012 campaign which saw him hit .280, a mark consistent with his career numbers. But his stats dropped substantially from 2011 in several categories, including home runs (31 to 17), RBI (88 to 67) and slugging percentage (.529 to .430).
In his story, Rosenthal cites insiders who say there's a very distinct chance Upton will be moved by opening day 2013.
Major-league sources, however, say the team is again engaged in active discussions about Upton, and one estimates the chances of him playing elsewhere next season are "80-20."
The D-backs tried to trade Upton following both the 2010 and 2011 regular seasons, and his name was mentioned in frequent trade rumors before last July's trade deadline.
The Diamondbacks will be seeking help on the left side of their infield this offseason, and have already traded for Oakland shortstop Cliff Pennington. As Rosenthal points out, Texas shortstop Elvis Andrus could make sense as a trade target, as the Rangers will likely be trying to fill the hole in the lineup if Josh Hamilton should leave via free agency.
Additionally, Texas has shortstop Jurickson Profar in their system, and the 19-year-old is considered by most to be the top infield prospect in all of baseball, making Andrus expendable.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?