Updated Nov 7, 2012 - 1:50 pm
Report: D-backs again interested in trading Justin Upton
The 25-year-old Upton had a disappointing 2012 campaign which saw him hit .280, a mark consistent with his career numbers. But his stats dropped substantially from 2011 in several categories, including home runs (31 to 17), RBI (88 to 67) and slugging percentage (.529 to .430).
In his story, Rosenthal cites insiders who say there's a very distinct chance Upton will be moved by opening day 2013.
Major-league sources, however, say the team is again engaged in active discussions about Upton, and one estimates the chances of him playing elsewhere next season are "80-20."
The D-backs tried to trade Upton following both the 2010 and 2011 regular seasons, and his name was mentioned in frequent trade rumors before last July's trade deadline.
The Diamondbacks will be seeking help on the left side of their infield this offseason, and have already traded for Oakland shortstop Cliff Pennington. As Rosenthal points out, Texas shortstop Elvis Andrus could make sense as a trade target, as the Rangers will likely be trying to fill the hole in the lineup if Josh Hamilton should leave via free agency.
Additionally, Texas has shortstop Jurickson Profar in their system, and the 19-year-old is considered by most to be the top infield prospect in all of baseball, making Andrus expendable.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.