Updated Nov 18, 2012 - 10:49 pm
Ken Kendrick: 'Highly unlikely' Justin Upton traded
According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick said Sunday that two-time All Star outfielder Justin Upton will likely stay with the organization through the winter.
While not putting a precise number of Upton's chances to stay a D-Back, club owner Ken Kendrick told CBSSports.com, "I think there's a very high likelihood Justin will be in our starting outfield when we start the new season."
Kendrick went even a step further Sunday saying that through the age of 25, Upton has had a better career than Barry Bonds.
"When compared to Bonds at the same age," Kendrick told Heyman. "[Upton's] numbers are superior at the same age."
Earlier this month it was rumored that general manager Kevin Towers was listening to all calls on his right fielder, but it seems talks have tempered as two potential suitors -- the Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Rays -- either weren't willing to part with young talent or didn't have the pieces to make a deal.
Here's more from Kendrick on Upton and his future:
"I'm a big Justin fan," Kendrick said. "He was drafted 1-1, and the fan expectation was so extraordinary. I think the fan base has seen flashes of an extraordinary talent. Justin's still young. All of us as young people aren't as consistent with what we do until we become a little more mature. Justin suffers from very high expectations. But he's had extraordinary success. And I think he has a lot more to contribute."
In 2012, Upton batted .280 with 17 home runs, 67 RBI and 107 runs scored.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.