Updated Nov 18, 2012 - 10:49 pm
Ken Kendrick: 'Highly unlikely' Justin Upton traded
According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick said Sunday that two-time All Star outfielder Justin Upton will likely stay with the organization through the winter.
While not putting a precise number of Upton's chances to stay a D-Back, club owner Ken Kendrick told CBSSports.com, "I think there's a very high likelihood Justin will be in our starting outfield when we start the new season."
Kendrick went even a step further Sunday saying that through the age of 25, Upton has had a better career than Barry Bonds.
"When compared to Bonds at the same age," Kendrick told Heyman. "[Upton's] numbers are superior at the same age."
Earlier this month it was rumored that general manager Kevin Towers was listening to all calls on his right fielder, but it seems talks have tempered as two potential suitors -- the Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Rays -- either weren't willing to part with young talent or didn't have the pieces to make a deal.
Here's more from Kendrick on Upton and his future:
"I'm a big Justin fan," Kendrick said. "He was drafted 1-1, and the fan expectation was so extraordinary. I think the fan base has seen flashes of an extraordinary talent. Justin's still young. All of us as young people aren't as consistent with what we do until we become a little more mature. Justin suffers from very high expectations. But he's had extraordinary success. And I think he has a lot more to contribute."
In 2012, Upton batted .280 with 17 home runs, 67 RBI and 107 runs scored.
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- MLB insider on Diamondbacks: 'It's as if they've never seen Mark Trumbo play'
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Mark Trumbo: By the numbers
- Mark Trumbo has weaknesses, but he's a good fit with the Diamondbacks
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.