Updated Nov 23, 2012 - 11:09 am
Diamondbacks sign first baseman Kila Ka'aihue
But over the Thanksgiving holiday, general manager Kevin Towers added some insurance behind Goldschmidt going into the 2013 season.
Arizona agreed to terms on a minor-league deal with 28-year-old Kila Ka'aihue.
The Hawaiian first baseman spent of part of the 2012 season -- 4 HR and 14 RBI in 128 plate appearances -- with the Oakland Athletics before being designated for assignment in June.
Ka'aihue was drafted in the 15h round of the 2002 amateur draft by the Kansas Royals, and spent the first four years of his professional career with the organization from 2008-2011.
After being designated for assignment last season, the six-foot-four left-handed batter hit .256 with 15 home runs in sixty-six games.
The Diamondbacks used Lyle Overbay and Mike Jacobs to back up Goldschmidt a season ago, although the second-year first baseman played in 145 games.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.