Diamondbacks sign first baseman Kila Ka'aihue
But over the Thanksgiving holiday, general manager Kevin Towers added some insurance behind Goldschmidt going into the 2013 season.
Arizona agreed to terms on a minor-league deal with 28-year-old Kila Ka'aihue.
The Hawaiian first baseman spent of part of the 2012 season -- 4 HR and 14 RBI in 128 plate appearances -- with the Oakland Athletics before being designated for assignment in June.
Ka'aihue was drafted in the 15h round of the 2002 amateur draft by the Kansas Royals, and spent the first four years of his professional career with the organization from 2008-2011.
After being designated for assignment last season, the six-foot-four left-handed batter hit .256 with 15 home runs in sixty-six games.
The Diamondbacks used Lyle Overbay and Mike Jacobs to back up Goldschmidt a season ago, although the second-year first baseman played in 145 games.
- Kevin Towers, Dbacks GM - Wednesday June 19General Manager Kevin Towers joins Doug and Wolf following a thrilling DBacks victory to give an upd
- Kirk Gibson, Dbacks Manager - Tuesday June 18Dbacks manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's loss to the Marlins, their pitching staff and any
- FanBall Weekly - June 17 - Tuesday June 18Everything you need to know about Fantasy Baseball from Andy Greenberg.
- D-backs president Derrick Hall - Friday June 14Derrick Hall joins Rob and Karie to talk about drafting paralyzed ASU baseball player Cory Hahn. He
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday June 12Towers talks about the brawl between the D-backs and the Dodgers.