Updated Nov 23, 2012 - 11:09 am
Diamondbacks sign first baseman Kila Ka'aihue
But over the Thanksgiving holiday, general manager Kevin Towers added some insurance behind Goldschmidt going into the 2013 season.
Arizona agreed to terms on a minor-league deal with 28-year-old Kila Ka'aihue.
The Hawaiian first baseman spent of part of the 2012 season -- 4 HR and 14 RBI in 128 plate appearances -- with the Oakland Athletics before being designated for assignment in June.
Ka'aihue was drafted in the 15h round of the 2002 amateur draft by the Kansas Royals, and spent the first four years of his professional career with the organization from 2008-2011.
After being designated for assignment last season, the six-foot-four left-handed batter hit .256 with 15 home runs in sixty-six games.
The Diamondbacks used Lyle Overbay and Mike Jacobs to back up Goldschmidt a season ago, although the second-year first baseman played in 145 games.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.