Updated Nov 24, 2012 - 2:30 pm
Analyst: Justin Upton to the Mariners makes sense for D-backs
So when reading the following trade idea, know that ESPN.com's Dave Schoenfield is merely suggesting a theoretical blockbuster deal, not reporting on a potential one.
In his SweetSpot blog, Schoenfield came up with five plausible blockbuster trade suggestions to keep with the theme of big shopping deals on Black Friday.
While Ken Kendrick spoke out in favor of his right fielder last weekend, of course, the Diamondbacks' Justin Upton still found his name in a proposed trade. As did former No. 3 overall pick Trevor Bauer.
Here's the trade:
Arizona Diamondbacks trade RF Justin Upton and RHP Trevor Bauer and receive SS Asdrubal Cabrera, RHP Vinnie Pestano and OF Michael Saunders
Cleveland Indians trade SS Asdrubal Cabrera, OF Shin-Soo Choo and RHP Vinnie Pestano and receive RHP Trevor Bauer, LHP Danny Hultzen and RHP Hector Noesi
Seattle Mariners trade LHP Danny Hultzen, OF Michael Saunders and RHP Hector Noesi and receive RF Justin Upton and OF Shin-Soo Choo
Like was said earlier, this was just done on a whim but a baseball writer trying to have fun over the holidays.
Although, it does seem he's convinced in the deal's feasibility.
OK, we couldn't avoid Upton and there's nothing more creative than a good three-way deal. This trade works for all three teams. The D-backs get the shortstop they need and also part ways with Bauer, whom ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reported earlier "has fallen out of favor" with some in the organization. Saunders gives them a starting outfielder to hedge against the production of Gerardo Parra and prospect Adam Eaton and Pestano provides a killer right-hander for the bullpen alongside J.J. Putz and David Hernandez.
Despite Schoenfield's best laid intentions, from an analysis standpoint, the trade doesn't seem that realistic for Arizona. The team would be giving up their star right fielder and a potential future No. 1 on their staff for a talented shortstop, right-handed reliever (which they already have a surplus of) and a fringe starting outfielder.
Here's hoping your shopping brought about more bargains than this trade would bring the Diamondbacks.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.