Updated Nov 30, 2012 - 9:58 am
D-backs release Brad Bergesen
According to MLB on Fox reporter Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Bergesen came to an agreement to allow the right handed pitcher to enter free agnecy in order to sign a one-year deal with Japan's Chunichi Dragons.
Free-agent RHP Brad Bergesen on verge of 1-yr deal with Japan's Chunichi Dragons, sources say. #Diamondbacks released him so he could go.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 30, 2012
After three seasons with the Baltimore Orioles, the 27-year-old right hander was claimed off waivers by Arizona in 2012. But after spending most of the 2012 season in the minor leagues, the D-backs decided to let Bergesen go ahead of the Nov. 30 non-tender deadline.
He would have been arbitration eligible for a second straight season and had been a non-tender candidate with a projected salary of $1 million.
Bergesen pitched 29.2 innings for the Diamondbacks this past season and posted a 3.64 ERA with 18 strikeouts and seven walks.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?