Updated Nov 30, 2012 - 9:58 am
D-backs release Brad Bergesen
According to MLB on Fox reporter Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Bergesen came to an agreement to allow the right handed pitcher to enter free agnecy in order to sign a one-year deal with Japan's Chunichi Dragons.
Free-agent RHP Brad Bergesen on verge of 1-yr deal with Japan's Chunichi Dragons, sources say. #Diamondbacks released him so he could go.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 30, 2012
After three seasons with the Baltimore Orioles, the 27-year-old right hander was claimed off waivers by Arizona in 2012. But after spending most of the 2012 season in the minor leagues, the D-backs decided to let Bergesen go ahead of the Nov. 30 non-tender deadline.
He would have been arbitration eligible for a second straight season and had been a non-tender candidate with a projected salary of $1 million.
Bergesen pitched 29.2 innings for the Diamondbacks this past season and posted a 3.64 ERA with 18 strikeouts and seven walks.
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.