Updated Dec 1, 2012 - 7:52 am
D-backs targeting INF Aubrey Huff
Seeking a left-handed bat to platoon with either Goldschmidt or Johnson, it apparently hasn't taken long for general manager Kevin Towers to reach out to an available veteran.
In need of a backup corner IF, #Dbacks have made contact with Aubrey Huff, source said.— Jack Magruder (@JackMagruder) December 1, 2012
Huff, a 12-year veteran, is very familiar with the NL West, having played the past three-plus seasons with the San Francisco Giants. Although the former fifth-round selection has won two World Series rings with the Giants (2010 and 2012), Huff's numbers have dramatically decreased over the past few seasons.
In 2011, he finished last among NL first baseman in OPS (.676), and saw his batting average (.246), home runs (12), RBI (57) and walks (47) all take significant dives from the 2010 season.
Last year in San Francisco, Huff began the season as Bruce Bochy's opening day left fielder, but injuries and a lack of production (.192 batting average, one home run and seven RBI), reduced him to a minor role during the Giants' championship run.
As a Giant, Huff has made a living against the Arizona pitching, hitting .321 with seven home runs and 22 RBI.
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.