Updated Dec 1, 2012 - 7:52 am
D-backs targeting INF Aubrey Huff
Seeking a left-handed bat to platoon with either Goldschmidt or Johnson, it apparently hasn't taken long for general manager Kevin Towers to reach out to an available veteran.
In need of a backup corner IF, #Dbacks have made contact with Aubrey Huff, source said.— Jack Magruder (@JackMagruder) December 1, 2012
Huff, a 12-year veteran, is very familiar with the NL West, having played the past three-plus seasons with the San Francisco Giants. Although the former fifth-round selection has won two World Series rings with the Giants (2010 and 2012), Huff's numbers have dramatically decreased over the past few seasons.
In 2011, he finished last among NL first baseman in OPS (.676), and saw his batting average (.246), home runs (12), RBI (57) and walks (47) all take significant dives from the 2010 season.
Last year in San Francisco, Huff began the season as Bruce Bochy's opening day left fielder, but injuries and a lack of production (.192 batting average, one home run and seven RBI), reduced him to a minor role during the Giants' championship run.
As a Giant, Huff has made a living against the Arizona pitching, hitting .321 with seven home runs and 22 RBI.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?