Updated Dec 4, 2012 - 3:14 pm
Rumor: D-backs talking Upton for Lee trade with Philly
With the Winter Meetings going on in Nashville, there seems to be a new rumor concerning Arizona Diamondbacks right fielder Justin Upton, whom Arizona has shopped in some capacity in each of the last three offseasons.
But ESPN's Pedro Gomez may have dropped the juiciest of rumors on Twitter:
Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Justin Upton for Cliff Lee. Money coming to AZ would also be involved.— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) December 4, 2012
As word of that idea spread, though, many sources chimed in to refute it.
Ruben Amaro with a strong denial of the Lee-Upton report. "I don't comment on rumors but that one is Absolutely and unequivocally false."— High Cheese (@HighCheese) December 4, 2012
Dbacks source tells me the Upton/Lee stuff "hasn't been discussed" and is "off base."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Gibson on that Upton/Lee rumor: "I can tell you that's not going to happen."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Lee, 34, is coming off of a frustrating season with Philadelphia in which he went 6-9 with a 3.16 ERA in 30 starts. The 2008 American League Cy Young Award winner didn't earn his first victory until July 31.
Lee is owed $87.5 million over the next three seasons, so presumably, a ton of money would need to come back to Diamondbacks in any deal with Philadelphia.
Upton, 25, had a down season in 2012 as well, hitting .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI. The former first overall draft pick has three years and approximately $38.5 million left on his contract.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.