Updated Dec 6, 2012 - 7:46 am
Kirk Gibson: Upton for Lee 'not gonna happen'
That's nothing new, really. Upton has been the subject of such speculation for the better part of three years.
But one rumor presented by ESPN's Pedro Gomez really got the twitter world buzzing.
Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Justin Upton for Cliff Lee. Money coming to AZ would also be involved.— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) December 4, 2012
Kirk Gibson, the freshly-shaven manager of the D-backs, is in Nashville and joined Doug & Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday to talk about the Upton rumors. Let's just say there was a good amount of debunking going on.
Upton had a down year in many statistical categories in 2012. His home run total fell 14 from the previous season and he had 19 fewer RBI than 2011, when he finished fourth in the National League Most Valuable Player voting. But he did lead the Diamondbacks and finished tied for second in the NL with 107 runs scored.
Gibson says all the trade talk around Upton makes sense.
"I understand why everybody wants him, I really do," he said. "I think we all do in Arizona. I've been very consistent with my comments on J-Up. We're happy to have him on our team, he's a huge talent and a big impact player and certainly we need him if we think we have a chance to win the West next year."
But three years of trade rumors would have to affect a player, right? How long can any one player hear his name bandied about before it sinks in that his employer doesn't want him anymore. It is a fair question to ask in the case of Upton, but Gibson isn't concerned.
"Justin is tough. He was a great teammate last year," Gibson said. "He'll be recharged, refreshed. I expect a huge year out of him this year and so do his teammates.
"We look forward to him being a great influence on what happens to us for this upcoming season."
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.