Updated Dec 6, 2012 - 7:46 am
Kirk Gibson: Upton for Lee 'not gonna happen'
That's nothing new, really. Upton has been the subject of such speculation for the better part of three years.
But one rumor presented by ESPN's Pedro Gomez really got the twitter world buzzing.
Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Justin Upton for Cliff Lee. Money coming to AZ would also be involved.— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) December 4, 2012
Kirk Gibson, the freshly-shaven manager of the D-backs, is in Nashville and joined Doug & Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday to talk about the Upton rumors. Let's just say there was a good amount of debunking going on.
Upton had a down year in many statistical categories in 2012. His home run total fell 14 from the previous season and he had 19 fewer RBI than 2011, when he finished fourth in the National League Most Valuable Player voting. But he did lead the Diamondbacks and finished tied for second in the NL with 107 runs scored.
Gibson says all the trade talk around Upton makes sense.
"I understand why everybody wants him, I really do," he said. "I think we all do in Arizona. I've been very consistent with my comments on J-Up. We're happy to have him on our team, he's a huge talent and a big impact player and certainly we need him if we think we have a chance to win the West next year."
But three years of trade rumors would have to affect a player, right? How long can any one player hear his name bandied about before it sinks in that his employer doesn't want him anymore. It is a fair question to ask in the case of Upton, but Gibson isn't concerned.
"Justin is tough. He was a great teammate last year," Gibson said. "He'll be recharged, refreshed. I expect a huge year out of him this year and so do his teammates.
"We look forward to him being a great influence on what happens to us for this upcoming season."
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.