D-backs GM has not been offered a better player than Upton
One of the latest rumors has placed the D-backs in a multi-team deal that would see them part with the two-time All-Star.
Towers confirmed those talks have happened.
"I would confirm that I've engaged with all those teams, but to actually see it come to fruition or happen I think is probably highly unlikely," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "It's tough enough to do a deal directly, let alone four teams.
"More often than not you have two or three that feel very good about what they're getting back and one that feels like the shelf is empty and it's not in their favor."
As it pertains to Upton, many of the rumors say it's tough to see the D-backs moving him without multiple teams being involved in the deal, so at this point it may seem likely that if anyone is dealt, it won't be the former number one pick.
"Some guys I would say that Justin's had early in his career, more success than either of those two guys," Towers said. "But eventually those guys hit it and became really consistent top players within Major League Baseball."
Towers said the Diamondbacks recognize that and "think a lot of" Upton, which tends to go against what many believe to be the case.
"I think that's why you see that he's here," Towers said. "It has to be a great baseball deal for us to really include him in a deal."
Towers, who said he's had several discussions with many teams about Upton -- as well as other players on the team -- said people continue to ask him about the right fielder and that he does not expect the questions to cease once the Winter Meetings come to a close, but the D-backs' stance on the subject has not changed.
"At this point in time, where we're at, no player's been presented to us that we think is better than Justin Upton at making the Diamondbacks better this year and going into the future, and that's why we haven't moved and we haven't budged."
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer