Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 6:13 pm
D-backs GM has not been offered a better player than Upton
One of the latest rumors has placed the D-backs in a multi-team deal that would see them part with the two-time All-Star.
Towers confirmed those talks have happened.
"I would confirm that I've engaged with all those teams, but to actually see it come to fruition or happen I think is probably highly unlikely," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "It's tough enough to do a deal directly, let alone four teams.
"More often than not you have two or three that feel very good about what they're getting back and one that feels like the shelf is empty and it's not in their favor."
As it pertains to Upton, many of the rumors say it's tough to see the D-backs moving him without multiple teams being involved in the deal, so at this point it may seem likely that if anyone is dealt, it won't be the former number one pick.
"Some guys I would say that Justin's had early in his career, more success than either of those two guys," Towers said. "But eventually those guys hit it and became really consistent top players within Major League Baseball."
Towers said the Diamondbacks recognize that and "think a lot of" Upton, which tends to go against what many believe to be the case.
"I think that's why you see that he's here," Towers said. "It has to be a great baseball deal for us to really include him in a deal."
Towers, who said he's had several discussions with many teams about Upton -- as well as other players on the team -- said people continue to ask him about the right fielder and that he does not expect the questions to cease once the Winter Meetings come to a close, but the D-backs' stance on the subject has not changed.
"At this point in time, where we're at, no player's been presented to us that we think is better than Justin Upton at making the Diamondbacks better this year and going into the future, and that's why we haven't moved and we haven't budged."
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.