Updated Dec 7, 2012 - 10:52 am
Gammons quotes Rangers official: 'We got Upton'
MLB Network's Peter Gammons was present and recently tweeted about some of the "fun" surrounding the endless trade rumors about Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton:
If you don't believe the multi-team Upton trade talk, Wednesday night a Rangers official called an Astros officisl and said, "we got Upton."— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) December 7, 2012
Upton has been part of trade rumors for the last three offseasons, and his name has been one of the most talked about at this year's gathering.
Obviously nothing is official at this point and Gammons' tweet could indicate just how close the trade was to going down before the plug was pulled. It could also indicate that the deal is close to consummation.
Thursday, talk of complicated three and four-team deals surfaced with Upton being one of the centerpieces for potential swaps. Other teams that have been rumored in such deals are the Tampa Bay Rays, Cleveland Indians, and of course, the Texas Rangers.
Based on Gammons' tweet, Friday could be an interesting day on the Upton front.
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.