Updated Dec 7, 2012 - 3:58 pm
D-backs agree to terms with free agent pitcher Brandon McCarthy
Diamondbacks have agreed to a deal with 29-year old free agent right handed pitcher Brandon McCarthy pending a physical— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) December 7, 2012
McCarthy went 8-6 with a 3.24 ERA in 18 starts for the Oakland Athletics in 2012. The 6-foot-7 right-hander had his season cut short when he was struck in the head by a line drive off the bat of Los Angeles Angels infielder Erick Aybar. Oakland had termed the injury "life-threatening" immediately following, but the veteran was medically cleared to return to baseball last month.
In his seven-year career, McCarthy has posted a 37-39 record in 153 games (99 starts) with a 4.02 ERA. He was Oakland's opening day starter in 2012.
According to Nick Piecoro of AZCentral, the deal is worth $15.5 million over two years.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?