Updated Dec 12, 2012 - 3:15 pm
D-backs GM Towers on Bauer trade: 'We liked Gregorius better'
"We liked Gregorius better," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday.
Towers was discussing the reasoning behind the trade he made the day before, which sent out Bauer along with pitchers Bryan Shaw and Matt Albers in exchange for shortstop Didi Gregorius, pitcher Tony Sipp and first baseman Lars Anderson.
The move has been questioned by many, as the thought of trading Bauer is a tough one to swallow. The pitcher was taken third overall in the 2011 MLB Draft and, while he struggled in a short stint with the D-backs last summer, is still thought of as one of the game's better pitching prospects.
However, Towers said the team needed to add quality depth at the shortstop position, and this was the time to do it.
"Other than Chris Owings we lacked depth in our system," he said. "We didn't want to put all of our eggs in one basket on somebody like Chris Owings, we wanted to have another premier shortstop that we thought was close."
Towers said a look at the free agent market along with who would be available next summer led him to deciding to make a deal for a shortstop now.
"We didn't want to go fishing in those big free agent ponds a year or two from now when you're going to be probably be overpaying for players that the talent doesn't equal the value," he said.
"He could play shortstop in the big leagues right now and be an above average shortstop," Towers said. "And we think the bat is close."
Gregorius will be under the D-backs' control for the next six years, which was something Towers said played a key role in Arizona's pursuit.
It's also one of the reasons why they were willing to part with a player like Bauer, who they valued less than fellow pitcher Tyler Skaggs.
"If we were going to move one of our talented young pitchers like a Trevor Bauer, where there was six years of control, we wanted a young shortstop with six years of control."
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?