Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 2:12 pm
ESPN MLB insider: D-backs once again open to trading Justin Upton
After all, the D-backs acquired a young shortstop, so what more could they need?
Then the Diamondbacks went and signed free agent outfielder Cody Ross, creating quite a logjam to have to sort out. Because while Upton, Ross, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock are all solid options, there are only three everyday spots available.
Someone -- maybe a couple someones -- was going to have to go.
And despite D-backs GM Kevin Towers consistently proclaiming an appreciation for Upton, ESPN MLB insider Buster Olney is reporting the 25-year-old is back on the trading block.
Arizona very much open again to talking about trading Justin Upton w/other teams, and not surprisingly, their specific demands have changed.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
The Diamondbacks have viewed Seattle as a possible landing spot for Upton, but remember, he would have to approve any deal to Mariners.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Some officials now convinced that it'll be Upton, rather than Kubel, who will be the outfielder that Arizona moves before start of its camp.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Upton hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI for the underachieving D-backs last year. The face of the franchise, in the eyes of many he represented all that was wrong with the team. However, he is just one season removed from a year in which he hit .289 with 31 home runs, 88 RBI and 21 stolen bases, so Upton obviously has potential.
And if Olney is correct, it would seem the D-backs are about ready to give up on it.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.