Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 2:12 pm
ESPN MLB insider: D-backs once again open to trading Justin Upton
After all, the D-backs acquired a young shortstop, so what more could they need?
Then the Diamondbacks went and signed free agent outfielder Cody Ross, creating quite a logjam to have to sort out. Because while Upton, Ross, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock are all solid options, there are only three everyday spots available.
Someone -- maybe a couple someones -- was going to have to go.
And despite D-backs GM Kevin Towers consistently proclaiming an appreciation for Upton, ESPN MLB insider Buster Olney is reporting the 25-year-old is back on the trading block.
Arizona very much open again to talking about trading Justin Upton w/other teams, and not surprisingly, their specific demands have changed.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
The Diamondbacks have viewed Seattle as a possible landing spot for Upton, but remember, he would have to approve any deal to Mariners.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Some officials now convinced that it'll be Upton, rather than Kubel, who will be the outfielder that Arizona moves before start of its camp.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Upton hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI for the underachieving D-backs last year. The face of the franchise, in the eyes of many he represented all that was wrong with the team. However, he is just one season removed from a year in which he hit .289 with 31 home runs, 88 RBI and 21 stolen bases, so Upton obviously has potential.
And if Olney is correct, it would seem the D-backs are about ready to give up on it.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.