Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 2:12 pm
ESPN MLB insider: D-backs once again open to trading Justin Upton
After all, the D-backs acquired a young shortstop, so what more could they need?
Then the Diamondbacks went and signed free agent outfielder Cody Ross, creating quite a logjam to have to sort out. Because while Upton, Ross, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock are all solid options, there are only three everyday spots available.
Someone -- maybe a couple someones -- was going to have to go.
And despite D-backs GM Kevin Towers consistently proclaiming an appreciation for Upton, ESPN MLB insider Buster Olney is reporting the 25-year-old is back on the trading block.
Arizona very much open again to talking about trading Justin Upton w/other teams, and not surprisingly, their specific demands have changed.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
The Diamondbacks have viewed Seattle as a possible landing spot for Upton, but remember, he would have to approve any deal to Mariners.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Some officials now convinced that it'll be Upton, rather than Kubel, who will be the outfielder that Arizona moves before start of its camp.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Upton hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI for the underachieving D-backs last year. The face of the franchise, in the eyes of many he represented all that was wrong with the team. However, he is just one season removed from a year in which he hit .289 with 31 home runs, 88 RBI and 21 stolen bases, so Upton obviously has potential.
And if Olney is correct, it would seem the D-backs are about ready to give up on it.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?