Updated Jan 7, 2013 - 12:16 pm
Report: D-backs, Mariners talk Justin Upton trade
Unfortunately for the Diamondbacks, the Seattle Mariners are on Upton's no-trade list.
The Diamondbacks have felt they have a good potential trade match with Seattle for Justin Upton. But remember: They're on his no-trade list.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 7, 2013
For the last few seasons, Upton has been on and off the trade block. Whether or not to keep the 25-year-old outfielder has been the main discussion surrounding the organization.
The addition of outfielder Cody Ross to an already crowded depth chart that includes Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and up-and-comer Adam Eaton -- along with Upton -- likely led to an increased probability of the D-backs parting with one of their outfielders.
Kubel was then thrown into the trade rumors along with Upton, catching the eye of the New York Mets and Baltimore Orioles. However, the D-backs know Upton provides the better return value of the two.
The latest Upton rumors point to the two-time All-Star being moved to either the Mariners, San Diego Padres, Atlanta Braves or Texas Rangers, with the Mariners being the latest front-runner.
The Padres trade rumors involved third baseman Chase Headley for Upton, though talks failed to progress.
While the Braves and Rangers have prospects and talent to offer, it's hard to see from Towers perspective of who the Mariners have that will convince the D-backs to part with the former number one overall pick.
But if Towers and the organization are favoring the Mariners like Olney reports, the Diamondbacks would have to seek the approval of Upton himself.
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.