Updated Jan 7, 2013 - 12:16 pm
Report: D-backs, Mariners talk Justin Upton trade
Unfortunately for the Diamondbacks, the Seattle Mariners are on Upton's no-trade list.
The Diamondbacks have felt they have a good potential trade match with Seattle for Justin Upton. But remember: They're on his no-trade list.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 7, 2013
For the last few seasons, Upton has been on and off the trade block. Whether or not to keep the 25-year-old outfielder has been the main discussion surrounding the organization.
The addition of outfielder Cody Ross to an already crowded depth chart that includes Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and up-and-comer Adam Eaton -- along with Upton -- likely led to an increased probability of the D-backs parting with one of their outfielders.
Kubel was then thrown into the trade rumors along with Upton, catching the eye of the New York Mets and Baltimore Orioles. However, the D-backs know Upton provides the better return value of the two.
The latest Upton rumors point to the two-time All-Star being moved to either the Mariners, San Diego Padres, Atlanta Braves or Texas Rangers, with the Mariners being the latest front-runner.
The Padres trade rumors involved third baseman Chase Headley for Upton, though talks failed to progress.
While the Braves and Rangers have prospects and talent to offer, it's hard to see from Towers perspective of who the Mariners have that will convince the D-backs to part with the former number one overall pick.
But if Towers and the organization are favoring the Mariners like Olney reports, the Diamondbacks would have to seek the approval of Upton himself.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.