Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 12:25 pm
Chase Field's 'Uptown' sign is coming down
Aptly named 'Uptown', the right field bleachers were a tribute to the player who was supposed to be a perennial All-Star and face of the franchise.
While Upton has shown glimpses of being that guy, his inconsistency has caused some to doubt his future.
And Thursday, Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reported Chase Field's future will no longer included Uptown.
Uptown signs coming down at Chase! Don't read anything into it, was something agreed to at end of season by both parties...— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 10, 2013
It's tough not to read anything into the move, especially with persistent trade rumors surrounding the player. Should the D-backs trade the outfielder they would have to get rid of the section, so this could be a pre-emptive move.
Then again, it's possible this decision has no ties to Upton's future other than the player not wanting his own section in the ballpark.
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.