Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 6:09 pm
Report: Justin Upton blocks trade to Seattle Mariners
According to a report by FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal and Jon Morosi, the D-backs (for now) right fielder blocked a trade that would have sent him to the Seattle Mariners.
Seattle is on the list of teams Upton can veto a trade to.
The D-Backs would have received a package of young talent from the Mariners, sources say, but the identity of the other players in the trade is not known.
Upton's rejection of the Mariners could be an attempt by him to leverage the Diamondbacks into sending him to a more preferred destination. The D-Backs, meanwhile, could be telling Upton that Seattle is his only option if he wants to leave Arizona, and for that reason it's always possible that a deal could revive.
Though Upton has been on the trade block for the better part of the last three years, this would seem to be the first time a deal was struck that would have sent him out of Arizona.
The 25-year-old Upton is coming off a season in which he hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI. It was a down year for both the player and his team. He is owed $38.5 million over the next three years, which is a reasonable rate given the production he can give a team.
However, many wonder why the Diamondbacks seem to be so set on trading the former number one pick. An MVP candidate just two seasons ago, it's possible Upton's best years are still ahead of him. Moving him now, before he even reaches his prime, could come back to haunt the Diamondbacks for years to come, regardless of what they get in return.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.